Buying a new system is likely to be a significant investment in time and money. So it is important to identify – and preferably secure – the necessary funding early.
- Early project cost estimates can be based on similar projects or be provided by consultants.
- The estimates should include towers and antenna systems, switching equipment, backhaul, dispatch, base stations, shelters, all related services, internal or external.
- Find out about grants from vendors, state agencies, consultants.
- For multi-agency and multi-jurisdiction projects decide early the rules for dividing the upfront and on-going costs. Per user or per use fees are considered the fairest approaches, but none are perfect, which is why it is important to discuss and settle the cost sharing issues early.
- Keep accurate track of how you spent grant money, the documentation will be required to close the project.
Click "next" to view "Status quo analysis"