Dispatch is the point where radio and other technologies merge. It is essential to involve dispatch management and personnel in preparing requirements for the new system.
- What is the total number of dispatch positions?
- Will all of them be in the same geographical location?
- Do you expect that configuration to remain unchanged in the foreseeable future or do you expect changes like dispatch consolidation or addition of new consoles/dispatch centers?
- Do you need the flexibility to add consoles on ad-hoc basis?
- What kind of auxiliary equipment will be connected to the consoles (logging recorders)?
P25 supports two standards for connecting consoles to RF systems. The Digital Fixed Station Interface (DFSI) is used to connect dispatch systems to P25 Conventional systems and permits voice, data, and repeater control. The Console Sub-System Interface (CSSI) connects dispatch systems to P25 Trunked systems and supports services very similar to the ISSI. Indeed, the CSSI is essentially the same protocol as the ISSI, differing chiefly in how it is used.
It is not important to look in detail at all desired functions of the dispatch system at this time, but the number and location of dispatch consoles and some auxiliary equipment, especially logging recorders, will have to be considered in backhaul design.
Click "NEXT" to learn about P25 System functionality or select a topic from the menu below.
Leave a Reply